Monday, June 4, 2012

Road Music

With one week until I take off, I thought I'd start packing. My goal is to go as limited as possible, but not to forget any of the necessities. To be honest, the only things I really need are my law books, computer and something to sleep on. Oh yeah, and something to listen to. I debated whether to get a book on tape, but refrained from that for two reasons: (1) I don't think I'll be in the car that much to enjoy a book on tape; (2) I have every law MBE law subject on my Ipod, which I plan to listen to during short drives and while long runs and bike rides. I also am renewing my XM so I can listen to the Detroit Tigers. Instead, I thought I'd like some good music after and during a long day of studying, such as today - when I studied roughly 9 hours. So I've broken my music into a few different groups. Cooking music: When I want something catchy that will keep me afloat prior to the sunsets or when I wake up to the sunrise. This includes contemporary bands such as Fun, of Monsters and Men, and the Lumineers. Study Sessions: When I need something calm that will allow me to forget everything during the 90 minutes of focus-time at hand. This will include the musician I listened to the most during law school, Ray Lamontagne, Bon Iver and James Taylor. Lifelong Songs: And Finally, when I just want to relax and stare out on the Great Lake State and the waters that shape it, I figured I can't go wrong with Simon and Garfunkel, Edward Sharpe or Brett Dennan. Of course I'll have other music and most of these have the rhythm of American Folk embedded in them, but I figured I'd be content listening to them for 40 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment