Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Day 13: To the Eastern Posts

Woke up at 5 and thought I might end up getting up to get a glimpse of any sunset, but passed on it due to filling a bit sick – my guess staying up till 1 when tempertures are cold and having smoke in your face might not be a great recipe three nights in-a-row. I woke back up at 9 and studied before going for a the same run yesterday- but in a different route.

The run was just as beautiful and as the day before. As I turned down the beat-up road, and ran up to the corner fork, I saw a man in his mid 60s going for an afternoon walk. “Its beautiful, aint’ it?” I gasped. “You betcha,” he said. “Can’t get sick of this.” (There we go, my first ‘U BETCHA.’ And it came from a guy that looked just like this guy from the show Alcatrez.) I kept up, getting a little pickup in my legs and thought ‘LA you can have your Sunset boulevard, us Michiganders have our Boulevard Drive.’

I said goodbye to that campground on Lake Michigan and headed toward the UP’s most Eastern Posts. Deciding to forego anything involved in I-75, I took the county roads, making a few stops -- at a drugstore and Roadside Park to take a few pictures and the scenery -- before arriving to DeTour. The short 80 minute drive reminded me again why I am taking this voyage. I stopped and looked out at the Les Cheneaux Islands.

The car ride gave me some time to review some tort subjects I’d been missing and the ferry wait to Drummondallowed me to get a little ahead on a Wills lecture slated for tomorrow.

I arrived to Drummond Island at around 5:00 and found my quarters shortly after. I was going to be sleeping in a true bed tonight, the first time since Day 2. I have wanted to come to this 83,000 acre paradise flanked by 140-miles of shoreline since I was a tyke and my father would tell me that some of the Tigers’ players were vacationing on the island. Back then Tom Monhahan, the Dominos tycoon, owned the Island and “The Rock,” where they stayed. Today, my Mergers and Acquisitions professor, who has been gracious enough to host me, owns the resort and conference center.

No comments:

Post a Comment