Saturday, June 23, 2012

Day 10: Bye Bye Trolls; In Yooper Land I go

In many ways 10 days ago seems like a forever-ago. In other ways it seems like yesterday. I guess that’s what happens when your life isn’t resemblant of anything involving consistency. As I sit here atop Lake Michigan just a few miles west of St. Ignace, I am struck with a few thoughts: (1) wow, this is breathtaking; (2) why did I wait 12 hours to actually eat something and wait 6 hours after running 6.5 miles? (3) I’m defiantly a minority at this “RV Park.” Its like the Eagles Club without fellow patrons buying me a beer.

Today was a typical – get up and study, run, go back to studying and travel. The one unigue thing about today was the 2nd study session, when I went to the Cheboygan Brewery. I spent about 90 minutes taking a few tests on Michigan law while enjoying a nice lager. I then filled my growler up so I could do the same tonight while sitting at the campfire. Thank you Aaron Mulder, my brother-in-law for lending the growler. Thank you Tim McLin, for telling me that your great-grandfather started the brewery in the second half of the 19th Century.

I then took the small trek up US 23, driving through Mackinaw City - a Wally World like community if there was such a place - before stopping to take in the Bridge, "Big Mac," the "Bridge they say could never be built." It turns 55 this November; I guess that'll be a good reason to party. Hopefully I'll have a positive score back from the Bar.

I then set up camp and laughed thinking about Trolls v. Yoopers before realized that all I had eaten since waking up at 8:30 was a granola bar and a beer. I found what looked like a neighborhood dive on US-2. It was here where I watched some of the Tigers and talked to an older guy at Timmy Lee's pub. He also was from East Lansing and a Spartan Fan. By the way: I recommend the whitefish reuben if you're ever in the region.

The night ended with me taking notes from a 3.5 hour lecture on Michigan Procedure. At least the stars were out in full-force. At least I had that growler to finish. And at last I've arrive to the UP. It only took 10 days and 400 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment