Monday, June 25, 2012

Day 12: Jimmy Cliff Kicks In

I woke up at 5 and then gave in at 6. It was a downpour. My my main concern was whether the weather was gonna cause me to move my hostel to the car. No problemo rain can't get into my new hovel. Only problem now was I awas up and this isn't the Pure Michigan I've longed for. After surfing the news, texting with my friend Kinga from Hungary who was the only up -- it was already past lunch there -- and getting a bit agitated by anything anyone had to say about the 2012 election, I decided to hit the books. Luckily, the rain eventually came as a soothing alternative to some women ramble on about Equity and I fell back to sleep for about 90 minutes. I finished the video and it was sunny again. I could see clearly now that the rain was gone.

Oh wait. Its Sunday. Isn't that laundry day or something like it? I guess I'll clean some clothes and talk to the owners about Freighters. Nice people. I mean really nice. This wasn't the Waldorf, but it the kind of nature that I was looking for. And then laundry was done. What's up next? Oh yeah more studying. (I kept telling myself, just get to 5:30 and you can go for a run.) I did it and it was rewarding-as-hell. A really rewarding 7-miler.

Tourist Alert: I recommend the following if you're ever planning on spending lesa than 90 minutes in St. Ignace and want to get a run in and want to be motivated the entire way. Or maybe you just want to take a sweet pic, well boulevard drive, along with its potholes will give you just that. I'm guessing its makeout point for the locals. And if you're with the kids you can also stop and say hi to the Father Marquette Memorial. Its more history than religious so all denominations are welcome. (Then again this comes from a Catholic who spent 6 years as an alter boy at Our Lady.)

The evening involved packing everything but books, tent and bedding before heading down to the water for the sunset and a late night jamboree with my MBE practice exam and a Lecture over Wills. Oh yeah. I also had dinner - Grilled salami and cheese sandwich over fire and smores... There was a bourbon in there too. On that note, I finished my first bottle - Redemption - maybe that's some kind of omen.

As the clock hit 1, it was hitting low 50s and the fire was dieing out, I looked up at the stars and recalled a conversation I had with a Congressman when I was a young reporter 6 years ago and writing a profile on him. 'We all just need to take a break and look at the stars once in a while.' Not a bad ending for a crappy morning.

1 comment: