Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Day 5: Coast to Coast

The day began on Tawas Bay in Lake Huron and ended at Grand Traverse Bay in Lake Michigan. This isn't Jefferson's Manifest Destiny, but it does have shades of sea-to-shining sea. Sunday morning started with a study session before heading out to the Bay, where I swam nearly a mile. It was windy, which made it that much more rewarding. It also reminded me how you can be lost in the world whether in the midst of the national forest or swimming in the Great Lakes. As I came back to shore, I couldn't stop laughing at a famous line from Seinfeld - "the sea was angry that day my friends." I guess that's life - paddling through the deep water and then laughing about it.

And then we were off for a 140 minute drive to Acme, Michigan, on the west side of the state. I spent the first half of the car ride listening to an ipod version of evidence while spending the second half doing questions in a workbook. (Studying sure makes car rides go by much faster.) If you haven't heard of it, Acme, is home of Grand Traverse Bay Resport, one of those four-season destination places that brags about having things that you never realized you actually wanted. I was there to visit my mother, who was in the middle of her annual Fathers' Day weekend trip to Traverse City area with my aunts. Atop the Trillium, a bar on top of the resort, I enjoyed a hoppy Michigan made Short's brew, and relaxed, watching the sun fall down on the bay.

I'd say a pretty good afternoon considering there are few places in the world where you can be surrounded by such beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment