Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Day of Departure

Today is the starting point. And it wasn't until 20 seconds ago that I realized the 13th might not be the best day for a new beginning. Then again 13 months ago I departed on Friday May 13th, 2011, for Budapest. Despite my luggage getting lost, that trip remains one of the greatest lessons of my life as I traversed throughout Eastern Europe as a tourist and a summer trainee. Perhaps more than anything, that trip reminded me of how much I needed to see in my own state before moving forward.

Over the next 40 days, I'll be traveling nearly 2000 miles across Michigan and its only fitting that I begin this journey in the place I've always called home, Chesaning. All roads do lead there..... Overall, this journey will take me from the Sunrise Side of the Great Lake State to the backtrails of Michigan's western posts and from well known fixtures to hopefully hidden gems.

And to complement what I am hope is tranquil, spiritual and surreal, I will be reminded each day of reality when I pummel through thousands of pages pertaining to the task at hand -- passing next month's Michigan Bar.

As in any journey I've taken, I look forward to defining the unknown and becoming friends with those who I hardly knew.

Here's a photo taken by my cousin Matt a few years ago of a Mackinac Bridge sunset.

1 comment:

  1. All the best to you. I look forward to embarking on this journey with you through your words.

    ReplyDelete