Saturday, June 30, 2012

Day 17: Melting Away

When I woke up this morning, I thought, this is one of those days I wanted to have when planning this trip last November. It didn't disappoint.

The day began with a hearty breakfast - an omelette - before doing 60 plus questions of review. I went for my run and came back to Corporations. I haven't had a break from this studying thing in a few weeks now - not that I should - but thank you God: partnerships/agency/corporations on back-to-back days. I could do this stuff in my sleep. (Not really. But it a bit lighter than usual.)

I then made the trek to the Tahquamenon Falls, the second largest waterfalls east of the Mississippi and the place Longfellow made famous in his song of the Hiawatha. There I was studying corporations, something I found a bit ironic. Corporations to many are the evil empire. That might be true in some parts. However, I know the people running large corporations helped provide a roof over mine growing up. That comes despite neither of parents ever working for one. With that said, selling Red Wings boots, Nike, Carhartt and Levi Jeans made those Fortune 1000 companies everyday names in our household. I guess that's the Melting Pot if anything. However, I do think the days of Thomas Watson, the founder of IBM, challenging his company, especially those on top, to accept the responsibility of helping the community, are a bit faded.

That green thing in front of those Falls is a bracelet I have been wearing for a little over a month. In mid-May one of my professor's baby girl, just 10 weeks old, died of pertussis, better known as whooping cough. I promised my professor that'd I wear this. So far, almost every person who I have talked to for more than 15 minutes has asked about it. That's the whole point I've thought during each conversation. Here's more information on Franny Strong Foundation.

I took a break to visit the brewery, where I didn't really take a break, but did see a fox and finished up corporations. Not bad: half a lesson in front of a major waterfall; half a lesson in a brewery drinking black bear stout.

I then preceded for sunset at Whitefish Point. The place Gordon Lightfoot made millions from as his sang his song of the sea - I think if u were there that day you'd call it that too - that took the Edmund Fitzgerald and its crew. This was a complete day and then it went great as the freighter came across the horizon as the sun expired to another place. Perhaps now in Turkiye, Iran or India, people were seeing the same sun I just saw set. As it burned, I felt like the waters of Lake Superior were just melting it away.

No comments:

Post a Comment