Thursday, July 19, 2012

Day 33: Where the Best of Michigan Begins

I woke in the late morning after about 5 hours of sleep. I figured the small amount of sleep was worth having the recollection of having seen the Northern Lights during this venture. The day began with the beginning of continuing the review process; nerves were setting in; and despite being hours away from test day and being in the midst of true beauty, I felt the same anxiety as the hundreds of others about to take this test.

After a muggy run around Lake Antoine, I exchanged my goodbyes with Kelly and Ric, both of us knowing that this little friendship that had little merits besides the common bond of campfires and class rock. My next destination was Menominee – a border town, located on Lake Michigan. For me, this tiny town of less than 10,000 dates back to my high school days, when I was on the state’s student council board and representing my school at conferences around the state and country. Another member of the board was my friend Tommy. Though I haven’t seen him since before I graduated from high school, it was people like him who inspired me to take this trek across the U.P. He once stayed at our home in Chesaning and I figured the least I could do is the favor.

I made the under two hour drive south, continuing my fifth day in the central time zone and feeling like I was in another state more than any prior time. This was Packers’ Country, where Detroit fans are far and few between, and where Brett Favre was a legend-turned-ass. Yet, people are forever grateful for 1997, when he led Green Bay to the promise land and returned the Lombardi Trophy home.

After listening to mortgages on tape – something that is proving to be my hardest subject – I landed at my camp site along the river that shares the city’s name. This city park was by far the cleanest I’d camped at. The summer workers were out 24-7 doing yard work. I studied for a few hours, grilled my first dinner in days, and eventually met Jen, the local college-girl who worked at the front desk. When she heard of my story, she invited me to tonight’s festivities: the 4th of July Fireworks 11 days late.

As we crossed across the bridge that divides Michigan to Wisconsin, I thought how much this trip has exposed me to every generation. Here I was with a group of college students, last night I was with Ric and Kelly and weeks before I was sharing Martinis with Fred and Elaine. The show didn’t disappoint, providing a great precursor to what would be a birthday. I’d never forget. Kind of considering, such I'd be starting it in a town that calls itself 'Where the Best of Michigan Begins.'

No comments:

Post a Comment