Thursday, July 12, 2012

Day 28: My Rock; My Pencil

I woke up at around 8:30, about 90 minutes after the alarm was suppose to go off and resumed property. Ugh... To be past this test. Only two more weeks. As my professor says, "Press on." I joined the crew for the day and it wound up being one of the best decisions I could have made. They offered plenty of water, an alternative to coconut water, which was now down to three 9 ounce boxes.

We went to the Shining Cloud Falls, where I studied and they swam. I couldn't help but feel 15 again and a different life ahead of me than the one that is now. I can't complain; how could I as they dove into questions about where I'd been? This time last year I was in Europe and the year before that I had a flat in Wrigleyville, where I roomed with two of the best men could ever meet.

As we continued our trek up to 400 plus feet, we took breaks. They chattered; I studied and I even got the chance to quiz them on some Criminal Law questions. 'You study more than anyone I have ever met,' one of the pupils said. 'You'd be doing the same if you were so much money in debt,' I answered back.

We eventually made it to high ground. To the right was Lake Superior, about 7 miles down. To the left was the Lake of the Clouds, about 2 miles away. And in between was this valley that could only look more perfect if had it been Late September. The view reminded me of when I was their age on a student government trip to the Smokies enroute to Carolina. The bluffs reminded me of those friends who I met back in the late 90s, many names whom I have forgotten. Yet, I can see their faces as easy as that hawk flying over my head.

As we closed shop for the night, I got in another study session, using my rock as my utensil. I found this rock the first day and since I had forgot my pencils, I figured it would stay with me forever. "If I ever become famous," I told them. "This rock will be in a museum."

No comments:

Post a Comment