Thursday, July 5, 2012

Day 20: Every Man Deserves a Castle

I left Grand Marais knowing that this was the halfway point of this adventure I've come to love with each breath. Three weeks ago seems like ages ago. It seems but a dream of another past. As I drove to Picture Rocks National Lakeshore I was once again reminded that I'm on borrowed time, something I'm come accustomed to thinking about as my travels take me to previously uncharted posts. How lucky can one truly be at 27. Pretty lucky I guess.

The car was amplified with some professor from Texas explaining to me how secured transactions and perfecting those goods were part of our everyday life. I pulled into the walkway to miner's castle and thought 'every man deserves a castle even if he can just live in it for one day.' This bastion gives homage to the pasts as we look out into Lake Superior and hope for a better future. You can't help but dream how our brothers have been dreaming the same fantasy from this place since well before Michigan was a traveler's paradise. I also was met with a flood of other tourists as sat down in the shade to study some more.

After listening to some more review, I met my cousin Brett and his friend Liz in Marquette. Habitual meeting was in due course as we stopped into a neighborhood pub before heading to the camp site to post tent. Marquette is the largest city I've been to since leaving campus nearly a month ago. It is home of Northern Michigan University, a few brew pubs, and was the historic seen to Anatomy of a Murder.

Just nine months apartment, Brett and I have been around each other's lives since the start. And while our paths have moved into different directions, certain arenas have brought us back. This time its our love for the great outdoors. As we both reach our late 20s we're falling in love with our state each day, realizing their more to be had in this corners of the world than ever imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment