Thursday, July 5, 2012

Day 21: Tallest Man in Our State

I woke up and went for a jog along Marquette's seemingly never-ending trails. The town seems to belong out west, yet it is a treasure right here on our state's shores of Superior. It also reminds me of Burlington, Vermont, giving homage to free-thinkers homing for that sweet scent called fresh air.

We then packed up Brett's tent and drove to Mt. Arvon, the tallest point in Michigan. It is less than 2000 ft, but it still signifies being at the highest point during that one day in time. As we drove up US 41, you could see small Waldens from the highway as their log cabins made perfected matches. They say it starts getting hilly after Marquette and it didn't dissapoint as Brett drove up to the state's highest peak. "You know Marc, your the tallest man in our state right now," he said as we reached the peak. 'Huh. I guess for this small moment in time, I am,' I replied back with probably the biggest grin I'd had since when we'd hike as kids in our neighborhood sea-level park.

And as we drifted from the highest point Liz put in Dylan, a perfect fit for a cloudless day.'How does it feel? To be on your own, with no direction known.' I soon took a short 15 minute nap as we descended downhill and feeling that studying would be in high gear come the 5th.

This evening Brett and Liz left, having to get closer to home. But we did stop for some dinner at a beer at the international food fest. It wasn't much of International, despite a few people asking me about my Hungarian shirt. Brett had a Burrito; Liz had the BBQ; and I had the gumbo.'So far all food is American,' I told Brett as we drank down a lime-arita Bud Light on an unusually warm 85 degree evening.

As I said goodbye, I decided I missed biking and eventually went back to the campsite to get my growler and study book. It was well worth it as I arrived to the shores of Lake Superior about an hour later. My ipad, my book, my beer and my freshwater. (Wait...our freshwater.) This is studying, I thought. I browsed to find a spot and saw a young family. The father carrying out his daughter to the lake as she held on to her daddy's hand as tight she could, trusting him as she went into these frigid temperatures for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment