Monday, July 2, 2012

Day 19: Where Are You Going?

It was Sunday, but it was back to work. This two day stretch of negotiable instruments and then secured transactions seemed like the worse yet. At least, I was in Grand Marais and not that god-awful cubicle in the library. Honestly, the best thing about this place may not be its beauty, but talking with family members who I knew little about. Its amazing how we can learn about our past simply by talking. To think they did this kind of thing more often before computers, televisions and that Ford Motel T was invented.

The morning session went as well as it could, looking out at the bay, where they building a rock wall to prevent the sand from filling in. This small harbor town has been a refuge for boaters since the turn of the last century and the resilient residents that make up the community of 400 hope to keep it that way for years to come. I then went for a five mile job around the bay. This area has provided motivation since its inception and those who are proud to call it their home talk about the rich history that it boasts. This includes discussing Jim Harrison's presence.

As the afternoon sun came in, Fred and I, along with another friend, went for a hike about 6 miles east of their summer home. I studied property and Criminal Law in the back of the jeep, something I've become accustomed to doing as I get from one destination or the next. Its been great how so many people have been supportive of this trek - some envious, some a bit flabbergasted, but most simply supportive. "July 1st. A new record," Fred said as we tasted the blueberries beginning to be in perfect bloom. They tasted as rich as my paternal grandfather's name. (His name happens to be Rich.

The night concluded with a dinner at the Lake Superior Brewing Company. I'm kind of getting it now why The Great Lake State is becoming the Great Beer State. "You mind if we see a sunset?" I asked as we turned out of the restaurant to head back home. The view didn't disappoint. Two nights earlier I was in Whitefish Point. Two nights from now I will be in Marquette. I kept thinking of that line from 'Catch Me if You Can' when Christopher Walken asked Leonardo Dicaprio's character "Where are you going Frank? Where you going tonight Frank?" Where will I be in the future, where am I going? I just hope it involves many more of these sunsets.

No comments:

Post a Comment