Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Day 26: Sleeping Bag, Books, and Granola

I left Houghton wondering when I'd be back again. I know I would be there tomorrow if it was to simply give back to those who were so kind. I know it would be tomorrow if I was given the fortune to show others the wonders of our state's most northern posts. That's all of another chapter though.

Next stop: Ontonagon, albeit a brief one. I didn't have much of a reason to visit this old port town, but wanted to know if it was as desolate as once told. Sitting there in the town's sole gas station-turned-coffee shop, I found out that it was exactly as I had envisioned. You simply can't help but feel compelled to help in the anchor of a county that has less than 10,000 remaining members. Yet, if this was like similar places I'd been to before, my bet is one thing the residents didn't want was more government intervention. Help? Yes. However, regulation, as they see it, is what has killed this area.

I arrived to the Porcupine Mountains State Park in the late after, eventually parking my car at the Lake of the Clouds. I trekked downhill to the Lake Superior trail, with about 40 pounds of bags, including my tent, sleeping bag, and books, before arriving shortly after 8 p.m at Lone Rock, which I have since dubbed Study Rock. It was just enough time to get a little studying in, a granola bar - my food for the next three nights -- a shower in Lake Superior and to watch another sunset.

Sleeping came earlier than any other time on this trip. I went to bed about 10:30, mostly due to having no light and no reason to stay up to attract wild. I ended up sleeping nearly 10 hours, only waking up when I felt a bit scared - nature will do that to you. Who would have thought an open-air tent, a sleeping back and a shirt as a pillow would be so comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment