Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Day 31: People Move Us Forward

After a couple hours of studying, I pulled out of Luxor around 11 and headed East. Run to you was on the radio, and for the first time in weeks, I realized this chapter was winding down; I hadn't driven in this direction since I went to Drummond nearly 3 weeks ago. My time now would be spent going toward the Bridge and effectively south to Chesaning. It made me a bit sad - this 'coming of age' story was winding down; a bit scared - knowing this exam was about 10 days away; but more than anything it was comforting - knowing that even if my mind goes, my heart will never forget this journey. OK. It was back to review, I'd use these next few hours on the road listening to Michigan Distinctions, an audio I took notes from a month ago on day 2 of this trip.

This two-and-half hour drive was expected to be my longest of this journey. Kind of odd thinking that it was, but I had planned to always drive under two-hours. But like any other journey, this didn't come without any stops. The first: Watersmeet, home of the Nimrods. This is the town ESPN gave national fame before it became a national phenomenon. I then kept moving east on US-2 and stopped at Bewabic State Park. I had no reason to stop here, but after two hours of driving, I was itching it get outside and work on my outlines. (My goal for the next two days was to finish up all my outlines, something I was suppose to have finished earlier, but I traded those days to do MBE in the woods.) Here, I affirmed my love for the state parks. Every spring we hear budget cuts in this state about saving money by eliminating access to these treasures. I wonder if any of those people ever come to the state parks and see the hundred or people using them on days like today. (My guess is they have their private cottage, boat and have no need keep such places public.) This park was home of the Fortune Lakes

My next stop was just up the road to Crystal Falls, studying atop of hill at a turn-of-the-century courthouse. As

As people kept moving in and out of the building, I couldn't help but think that the profession I seek to join is what attempts to preserve what lies inside. And despite that, it is the people whom they represent who actually allow it to move forward.

I continued down my trek to Iron Mountain, the land of Izzo and Mooch.

As a Spartan, if you can't get excited for this, you really don't deserve to bleed the Green and White. My site for the next few days would be Lake Antoine, a beautiful Lake just outside of downtown. When I first thought if coming here, my uncle, a pilot for Delta, said its a beautiful lake to run and bike through, admitting he loves to do such during a layover. The night concluded with a bike ride, to give homage to my Uncle Jack's advice and dinner at Spuds -- gorgonzola and walnut pizza = awesome. As I spoke with the bartender, I started thinking perhaps this journey of mine will provide more than brief bout with our state and a precursor for other opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment